- Business Reporter at the Huffington Post
- Con to the question "Should the United States Return to a Gold Standard?"
“The gold standard might sound good – who, especially Donald Trump, doesn’t love gold and standards? – but it’s one of the worst economic ideas ever. This is a harebrained policy that no other country uses and not a single surveyed economist thinks is a good idea…
Under the gold standard, a dollar is worth a certain amount of gold. And since gold is a commodity whose price swings wildly, a central bank like the Federal Reserve would have to raise and cut interest rates based not on how well the economy is doing, but on what’s going on in the gold market.
It’s a good way to run a modern economy into the ground.”
“Donald Trump Would Wreck the U.S. Economy,” huffingtonpost.com, June 19, 2016
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals and organizations that do not fit into the other star categories.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Business Reporter, Huffington Post, 2014-present
- Online Editor and Business Writer, Reuters, 2012-2014
- Writer, Business Insider, 2011-2012
- Financial Analyst, Office of the Chairman, Goldman Sachs, July 2008-July 2009 and Apr. 2010-May 2010
- Associate, Environmental Markets Group, Goldman Sachs, July 2009-June 2011
- Financial Analyst, Investor Marketing Group, July 2006-July 2008
- BA, Political Science, University of Chicago, 2006
- Twitter handle: @BenDWalsh
- Former Twitter handle: @counterparties
- Was selected in April 2010 to serve on a team that prepared Goldman Sachs CEO for testimony before the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigation
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Should the United States Return to a Gold Standard?